Its problems include but are not limited to:
- Utterly juvenile depiction of D/s relationship
- Lost-style trauma-psych backstory nonsense
- Horrific dialogue, description
- Miserable, repetitive sex
- 'Commentary' on Twilight's self-abnegating abuse-fetishism that swerves right into pure, unadulterated, unself-conscious self-abnegating abuse-fetishism -- this is the really bad part, the unforgivable part, the part where an ostensibly grown woman (a mom!) wrote yet another novel about how it's OK if some bastard works out his trust issues by destroying your life, as long as he's hot hot hot and (by the way) super-rich and secretly the nicest most caring little snuggly-bear Secret Victim in all the land
- Oh, and she can't write American English for shit
Why are these bottom-scraping shitbrained books popular? For the same reason adults read Twilight.
Good for 'E.L. James' for making a buck off her self-published novel -- and for turning it into millions of gullible-publisher dollars, a fine scam -- but folks, please spare yourself the agony. If it's pornos you're after, stop by Good Vibrations; they've got plenty of this stuff around, only not (all) shit.